Friday, March 16, 2018

Eye on Kickstarter #39

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2018 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.
So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of March, 2018:

Live Campaigns from Past Eyes:
Robin Hood and the Merry Men
Swordcrafters


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGN
True Messiah
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • I had the fortune to meet the designer of True Messiah, Craig Stern, back in January of 2016 at a game design meetup. There I got to play True Messiah and quite enjoyed it, even in its earlier stages. Craig also attends the Protospiel events that I go to, so we cross paths every so often.


Recruit zealous followers, compete for surreal powers, control the wasteland. 2-4 players, 60-120 minutes.

Years ago, scientists constructed the Belief Engine, a machine that warps reality to match peoples’ most strongly held beliefs. The machine was turned on for testing, but it proved too sensitive: widespread belief in the depravity of man and imminent social collapse suddenly took on the full force of objective fact. Without resort to a shared external reality, civilization crumbled like a sand castle in the tide.

From the ruins have now arisen cults led by charismatic figures possessed of seemingly divine powers derived from the still-functioning Engine. You are one such a figure—the true one, the Messiah. It is God’s will that you build temples and marshal followers, then mold their beliefs to perform miracles and destroy your rivals. They’ll be doing the same, but don’t worry–God is on your side…





Mysthea
  • Mysthea looks like a really intriguing type of area control and hand-building game. Plus, the artwork is absolutely gorgeous. If I had an unlimited budget for board games this would be an insta-back for me.


Into The Black: Boarding Party
  • This semi-cooperative game about space piracy was on my list to review a while ago, however the prototype copy I received had a lot of flaws, so I ended up not posting a review. However, in the past 18 months or so the game has gone through a lot of changes (some of which I suggested, so I'm thrilled to see that they worked out). The new game looks a lot more interesting and hopefully fixes the early flaws.
Batman:


Sorcerer City
  • Sorcerer City is likened to a blend of Carcassonne, Dominion, and Galaxy Trucker. While I'm not wild about Galaxy Trucker, Carcassonner and DOminion are two of my favorites. Call me intrigued!


Batman: Gotham City Chronicles
  • How could this not catch my attention? Over three million raised already and two weeks to go, plus it's Batman!


Castles of Caleira
  • Castles of Caleira is a gorgeous looking micro game about building the best castle. It plays quickly, takes up very little space, and looks absolutely stunning, so what's not to love!


Dragon Keepers
  • Here's another gorgeous looking card game where players are working to protect dragons from the evil dragon hunters. This looks like a great family game.


Tabletop Network - Boardgame Designer's Retreat
  • Hanging out in a mountain resort in Utah for a weekend in June? That sounds like a vacation I need to convince my wife we need to go on (she's nervous about the ziplines and mountain roller coasters though). The best part is that you can spend two days at a conference learning about board game design from some of the best in the business!


Iron Harvest
  • I'm not really into playing video games, but Iron Harvest looks really incredible. It's set in the same 1920+ universe as Scythe, and since Scythe is one of my favorite games, this definitely caught my attention. It's almost enough to make me give up my analog games for digital!

No comments:

Post a Comment